Programming for Change
Join Chris Maunu, Director of Choral Activities at Arvada West High School, as he shares strategies for creating a concert program that communicates a meaningful message.
In this course, Chris Maunu (Director of Choral Activities at Arvada West High School) shares how a school shooting threat led to a complete shift in his philosophy of concert programming: Programming for Change.
Through his story of constructing a concert program in response to this event, you will gain the tools necessary to create programming that deeply impacts the students, community, and beyond.
General Course Outline
Part One: Rationale
- Value of communicating a meaningful message through our art
- Community Impact
- Response to something directly impacting students
Part Two: Tools
- Selecting repertoire
- Strategies for enhancing and tying together chosen repertoire
- Guidelines for creating a dramatic story through song
Part Three: Construction
- Tools and strategies in action
- Performance examples
- Meaningful student engagement